Central Receiving is established to perform receipt, inspection, delivery, shipping, claims processing, and temporary storage of material pending delivery to University departments.
Central Receiving receives materials and equipment, inspects materials and equipment received for quantity, quality and any special specifications as indicated on the purchase order; delivers the material to the ultimate consignee; receives, packages, and ships items being returned to vendors; processes losses, shortages, overages, duplicate shipments, and damage claims to the carriers with notifications to vendors; coordinates and consolidates delivery of materials issued from Central Office Supply to the requesting offices along with Central Receiving deliveries.
1) Damaged items, shipping containers, packing materials, and anything pertinent to a shipment will be held at the inspection point pending an investigation by the carrier.
2) The vendor and department will be notified of damaged or missing items.
3) The vendor will be furnished with a damage report to initiate a claim against the carrier.
4) Upon mutual agreement with vendor or department, Central Receiving will initiate a claim against the carrier.
1) Central Receiving will generate a Receiving and Inspection report for each delivery.
2) Receiving and Inspection report will be signed by the ordering department.
3) A copy of Receiving and Inspection report will be retained by Central Receiving.
4) Any discrepancies should be reported to Central Receiving immediately upon receipt of items.
5) Department will be notified of any damaged or missing items, Central Receiving will coordinate the processing of all claims against the vendor.
1) Outgoing shipments not picked up by express companies such as Federal Express, originating within the offices and departments of the University will be processed by Central Receiving.
2) Materials being shipped may be delivered to Central Receiving by the department, or will be picked up by Central Receiving upon request.
3) No hazardous materials may be shipped by Central Receiving.
4) All outgoing shipments must be accompanied by the original "Material Return Slip" along with copies of letters, invoices, and any documents which should accompany the shipment. The department should retain a copy of the Material Return Slip. All documentation should remain with the shipment and should not be forwarded separately to Central Receiving.
This series documents the receipt of equipment, supplies, other items and services from vendors. The series includes: packing slips, shipping and container lists; and bills of lading.
Record Copy: Central Receiving
Retention: 5 years
Citation or Reference: O.C.G.A. 11-2-725
Central Research Stores
Campus Scientific Stores
Delivery points outside Clarke County, Georgia
Georgia Center for Continuing Education
NEGA Police Academy
Performance Assessment Lab
Poultry Science Feed Mill
University Bookstore (Follett)
University Health Center
University of Georgia Press
In addition to the departments excepted above, the following categories of orders are excluded from Central Receiving procedures:
Advance pay request (including orders to the U.S. Printing Office, Superintendent of Documents)
Art objects or art work
Cash-on-delivery orders (C.O.D. Purchases)
Deliver and install requests including furniture and leased photocopy machines (if setup and/or startup is included)
Field crops, unprocessed
Gravity-fed materials (such as gasoline and fuel oil or any other bulk items which are unpacked)
Indefinite blanket orders
Items authorized for check request payment procedures
Items ordered from the University Bookstore
Livestock (lab animals do go through Central Receiving unless otherwise requested by department and special approval is granted)
Maintenance parts installed by repairmen
Narcotics, or other drugs for which governmental regulations require direct delivery to a registered pharmacist
Orders specifying delivery only upon user's request
Orders to be picked up from supplier
Reprints and page charges
Rigid items longer than 15 feet, such as lengths of iron or steel
Truckload or rail carload shipments
Where is Central Receiving located?
Central Receiving is located at 4435 Atlanta Highway, Athens, Georgia 30606
Contact Central Receiving at 706-425-3263 to notify us of your upcoming delivery.
Yes, Central Receiving will package items to be returned for a small fee. This fee covers the cost of the materials (i.e., bubble wrap, boxes, peanuts, etc.) used in packaging your items.
Once you have contacted the vendor and have a return authorization code, fill out the Material Return Slip. Call Central Receiving on completion of the Material Return Slip and Central Receiving will pick up the item and return it to the vendor. If the vendor does not pay for shipping the University department is responsible for the shipping charges.
The Material Return Slip is a Central Receiving form that must accompany any items being returned to a vendor. This form is used as a receipt to identify the item has been shipped to the vendor. If there are any shipping charges, the receipt will reflect the cost of the freight to return the item to the vendor.
No. However, if an item is too large for Central Receiving to deliver, the University department will be notified. The department will then contact the Physical Plant and request Support Services to deliver the oversized item. Support Services will charge to deliver the item. Central Receiving does not maintain the specialized transport equipment and personnel for oversized deliveries.
No. Central Receiving is a receiving department. We receive and deliver to University departments on Campus.